VIPs are SponsorBlock's moderators. They have rights to moderate segments and users. In the data base explorer you can recognize them by the 👑 crown next to their votes. On the discord you can recognize them by their VIP role and a green color name.
Like any other user, VIPs can downvote segments. A segment downvoted by a VIP will not be shown to users anymore. VIPs can lock segments. Locked segments will be shown to users taking priority over non-locked segments. They can also only be removed by VIPs. All segments created by a VIP are locked by default.
A VIP has two options when moderating users: banning and warning. Warnings are issued to users who make common mistakes when submitting segments. Upon trying to submit their next segment or voting on a segment they will receive a popup prompting them to ask about their warning on discord or Matrix. Behavior that will end up in a ban consists of but is not limited to:
- Malicious segments such as:
- Censoring certain people regardless of what they did
- Submitting segments to stop people from viewing creators
- Submitting segments that are consistently off by a little. If the segment reduces the viewer experience because it is badly timed, it shouldn't be there in the first place.
Expectation of VIPs
- VIPs are expected to only submit perfect segments, as they are excluded from the normal voting process.
- VIPs are expected to moderate videos, if they have the time for it. They are volunteers after all.
- VIPs are expected to be able to judge segments when they are posted in #incorrect-submissions on discord.
How can I become a VIP?
- You should have a good understanding of how categories are supposed to be applied.
- Your segments should be timed perfectly.
- You should have some free time on your hand to moderate after becoming VIP.
How to show, that the requirements apply to you:
- You should have saved other people quite a few hours.
- You should have a low percentage of ignored views.
- You should have submitted many segments.
- Consider posting wrong segments in #incorrect-submissions on discord so we can see how you would apply the Guidelines.
To actually become a VIP you will need to request the "Requesting to be VIP" role in #help-out on discord by reacting to a message. This unlocks the channel #vip-request in which you will have to link your userID preferably via the data base explorer. It is not guaranteed that you will become a vip and asking multiple times might reduce your chances.