This is for promotions, for which the YouTuber will not receive payment. This also includes the segues used to smoothly transition into and out of the segment.
- Patreon, Channel Memberships, Twitch Subscriptions or any similar monetized platforms
- Videos or playlists
- Charities, products or websites they like
- Information about whom they collaborated with
- Shout-outs with no money exchanged
- Giveaways with no involvement of a 3rd party and the announcement of the winner
- No money exchanged
- Content YouTuber should have full control
- Products should be purchased by the YouTuber
- Asking for paid/free services from their subscribers (fainmail, video clips)
- Just mute the segment, if it would cover content.
Exceptions/ Edge Cases
The decision on whether it should be marked sponsor or unpaid promotion is influenced by several factors.
- Did they receive money as well as the product? If so, then it should be marked Sponsor.
- Are they obviously linked with the product they are promoting? If so, then it should be marked Unpaid/ Self Promotion.
- Does the product they are promoting have their branding, similar to merch? If so, then it should be marked Unpaid/ Self Promotion.
If it is impossible to cleanly cut or overlap the segments, Interaction Reminders can be included in Unpaid/ Self Promotion
|Horsepower dashcam blurred the videos and received a shout-out.||Eure Videos #159 - Eure Dashcamvideoeinsendungen #Dashcam @Horsepower Dashcam|
|The viewers created and gifted him parts for his machine and received a shout-out for it.||Solving the 1000 Pieces Engineering Puzzle|
|He promotes his own shop.|| Honda Metropolitan II Multipurpose Lock Picked|
|This is all about his keycaps. It is similar to using a company that produces and sells custom merch.||Make your keyboard thocc for $3|
|Long and specific interaction reminder about future video and doesn't add any context to the current one.||The Birth of Photography: Drawing With Light (and silver iodide)|
|The show is owned by HBO, but there is no obvious connection between the show and HBO.||Housing Discrimination: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)|
|They received the product for free, but also money so it is a Sponsor.||We Might Need a Wi-Fi Upgrade - Juniper Networks Showcase|