Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mute segments are for segments that visually contain important information but have audio underneath that belongs in one of the categories. If a segment can be skipped, it should be skipped instead. If a "skip" segment is too short to make a smooth skip, it can submitted as "mute" if it seems better.
Only Sponsor, Selfpromo and Interaction Reminder segments can be submitted as mute instead of skip.
Existing "skip" segments cannot be converted to "mute" segments unless resubmitted as a new segment
The threshold for converting skip segments to mute is about 1.5 seconds, but can vary depending on the context.
- While skip segments should include segues, mute segments sometimes do not include segues
- For segments, try to mute as much audio as possible while still preserving context, reducing confusion as to why there is suddenly no audio
- Don't mute the audio leading up to the segment, e.g. at 9:15, bryonato's explanation of the the encounter being "mainly just holding W" and the segue into "but we have time for our first round of donations" is not muted
|There are visual disclaimers which cannot be skipped but audio for a sponsor read||1 Man, 27 Impressions|
|The content creator is shouting out the creator of the source material they based off of at 16:57 but it is over a timelapse, which should not be skipped||Ep 19: I Moved! (My Base)|
|The product name mentioned at 0:52 is muted since it's irrelevant to the content and cannot show any bias, where a skip would dramatically interrupt the flow||Slow Mo with a High-Speed Robot - The Slow Mo Guys|
|GDQ donation segments still have gameplay but can be muted for the duration of the donation reads||Control by Bryonato in 1:08:47 - AGDQ2020|
|While there is spoken audio at 8:08, it is an interaction reminder and the entire section can be skipped||8 Minute Guide to Sucrose | Genshin Impact|
|While the audio is irrelevant, it doesn't fit any category and should not be muted||Crazy spinning cat|
Tips for submitting
- Mute segments do not need a 2 frame buffer at the start
- When chaining a skip after a mute segment, add a 2 frame buffer to the start of the skip segment
- Preview as skip to see if there is a clean cut between the start of the mute and the end of the mute, avoiding unmutes in the middle of dialogue or a sound effect
- Make sure that other audio in the middle of the segment is not muted
- If the section has a part that should be skipped and a 2nd part that should only be muted — make two consecutive segments.
- It is preferred to chain them on exactly the same millisecond but some overlap is okay.
- Instead of chaining multiple skips and mutes in sequence, replace the smaller mute segments with a larger mute that covers all the segments